Saturday, March 7, 2009

My quilt in progress

Introducing..... my quilt. 


I have been meaning to write about my quilt for a long time now.  That was basically the meaning of "a record of things made... at least incrementally" over on the right there.  This has been in the works for just over a year now, although it has been in my mind to make a quilt since the nineties. Yeah, I was a weird kid.

It seems not much has changed! This is a super-nerdy math quilt, with a Penrose tiling pattern (although technically the word "pattern" is probably incorrect here). There are two types of tiles that, when fit together according to certain matching rules, will produce a nonperiodic tiling. Good times!

Up top there are some photos of the fabric, and this here is a sketch of how it might look. Unfortunately I have recently become disenchanted with my colour choices, and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about that. 
The process is a little surprising: it involves sticking paper pieces to the back of all the fabric pieces, and then stitching all the papered fabric pieces together. Once it is all stitched together you can rip out the paper, but until then it is a strange stiff creation.

Here is a pile of pieces:
Here is a pile of pieces, stiched into bigger pieces:
Here is what a bigger piece might look like (I haven't sewn any big sections yet).

I actually have quite a bit more done now, these photos were taken in December. Watching two and a half seasons of The Wire over the Christmas vacation was a productive time. 

Well... that is it! I'm hoping that writing about it will kick my ass into working on it more. 

1 comment:

  1. So. That's going to be the most awesome quilt ever. You know that, right? You must be mentally prepared for the ridiculous quilt-fame you are going to quilt-achieve once the quilt-scene gets a load of your quilt. -quilt.

    ReplyDelete