Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Baby surprise and Tuesday notes

Tuesday seems to be a good clogging day for me. Of course, I mean blogging, but clogging is kind of appropriate today too.

I should be at Namaste Babies right now, but I think not being able to breathe is probably a good reason to skip that tonight.  Yes, the pregnancy sneezes were a warning of things to come. Now I'm just consuming vast quantities of hot lemon drink with honey and hoping this doesn't settle into my chest.

On the bright side, I recently (mostly) finished my Baby Surprise Jacket! I'm pretty pleased with it, although I feel like the knit is a little on the loose side. I sized down the needles but I am still just a very loosey goosey knitter. I think it mostly happened when I made the transition from English to Continental style knitting. Interestingly, Continental style knitting, according to Wikipedia "being associated with Germany, fell out of favour in English-speaking countries during World War II; its reintroduction in the United States is often credited to Elizabeth Zimmerman." Part of what is interesting about this is that Elizabeth Zimmerman is the author of the Baby Surprise Jacket pattern! But that is an aside. I wouldn't go back to being a "thrower," being a "picker" is much faster, especially for ribbing (although I do have a sentimental attachment to the English style, it being taught to me by my granny on pick-up sticks at the cottage). And for the record, I taught myself how to knit Continental style with a youtube video.

OK, that was a long introduction for..... the baby surprise!!! It is mathemagical! Almost hyperbolic!

I used Noro Silk Garden sock yarn, which is beautiful, although I'm a little disconcerted by the pink and purple sections, which weren't so visible on the outside of the ball. This may end up being a prototype for another sweater on smaller needles.

After some clever folding, ta da:

And (this was the kind of thing that mattered a lot more when the pattern was written in 1968 than it does now) you actually work buttonholes on both sides of the jacket. Then, immediately after the birth of the baby, you can sew the buttons over the holes on the appropriate side for a boy or for a girl. Do people still pay attention to appropriate sides?

I'm not sure I'll wait that long to sew on the buttons. I found these sweet wooden buttons that I believe came from my (other) grandmother's supply, and they are too perfect to resist, even though I am one short.
Well, if you have read all this then I'm impressed, dear reader. These sentences are poorly structured. Too many commas! I blame the clogging.

1 comment: