Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A good book

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I'd like to recommend a good read, The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. Thanks G+B for the Christmas present!  When my Dad told me that I probably would be finished in a few days, I assured him it would more likely take me a month to read, because I don't dedicate very much time to reading. But lo and behold, not a week later and I'm all through.

There aren't too many things that make my 4 or 5am preg-o insomnia fun, but over the past week I've had to ask myself, can I really not sleep, or do I just want to read that book?

Well, whatever the reason, this was a great read. So strange, so very strange. It also helps that I plowed slowly through a really mediocre book immediately before this one... it will remain nameless. I see that there is some talk of making Sisters Brothers into a film, but I'm not so interested in that. To me this book does the thing that only a really good novel can do, which is somehow to transport the reader slightly beyond the limits of their imagination, and capturing the story literally in film would eliminate this magic, I think.

The Sisters Brothers has been shortlisted for all kinds of stuff, and has won some things too, including the Governor General's. Which reminds me of Crabby's GG project, and I see this is still on the list of books yet to be read... you are in for a treat Crabs.

That's it for nowzers.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I'm looking forward to reading this one! A certain CBC radio host promised to send me a copy, and then never did - and I keep not buying it in case she finally remembers that I won it fair and square. I should just buy it and then never trust another CBC radio personality again.

    ReplyDelete