Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolution times

Yes, it is the resolution season.

This year, things are a little different. Looking back at last years resolutions I'm pleased to say that I have managed to accomplish some of them. However, some of them I have accomplished only by accident, for example "drink less wine". Some were taken care of by what I now see as an improvement in work-life balance that naturally followed the completion of my PhD. So things like "read more non-work books" got a big checkmark.  Others, like "run faster" I have obviously not accomplished, as I am now running at least twice as slow as I was when I made that resolution. But I'm growing a human!

So this year I don't feel motivated to make any health and fitness resolutions, I'm already pretty motivated by the squirmy wormy to take good care of myself (though perhaps some postpartum fitness goals are in order... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, but let me just say that I am excited about the super effects of high-altitude running), and I'm lucky that my job is flexible enough to allow me to spend time doing this.  I am drawn toward making goals that involve being more creative, and also about getting things done. So here is the list (isn't it true that going public with your resolutions makes it more likely that you will keep them?)

1. Keep a sketchbook (I talked about that yesterday)
2. Less diddling on the internet, more doing!
3. Actually finish the decluttering/de-crapifying project, before the baby arrives
4. Finish some ongoing projects, specifically the sweater blanket, the quilt (ehh... might be getting demoted from a queen size to a baby quilt... a very pink baby quilt), and other knitting projects
5. Keep the house cleaner (this is a resolution that has been hanging around for a few years now.... but as with all bad habits, many many opportunities to change!)
6. Work on my French (I'll be taking classes starting next week)
7. Write more letters to councillors and politicians (this is also a 2011 resolution)

Are these even "good" resolutions? Probably not. But I'll spare you the nitty gritty of how I plan to get these things done. Right now I'm just happy to have the opportunity to take stock of things and feel pretty content with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment