Tuesday, March 20, 2012

If I had to pick a type...

Well, I guess the 35 weeks + 1 day update is a little silly, but I saw the midwife this morning. Actually, I saw a new midwife (kind of like the back-up to the back-up midwife), who has more than 30 years of midwifery experience. We were talking about the unpredictable nature of this whole business of being born. She took a look at me and said, "If I had to pick a type to go into labour early, it would be tall women carrying small babies low in the pelvis." Oh. Noes.
On a bright birthing note, Dalton McGuinty today announced that Ontario will open two birth centres, which is an excellent step in a good direction for allowing women more choice in how and where they deliver their babies.

Speaking of which, I feel suddenly incredibly lucky to be receiving such amazing prenatal (and eventually,  postnatal) care in the hands of the Midwives Collective (and it really is amazing). I just learned that of about ten women in my prenatal yoga class, only two of us were able to find midwives (due to a midwife shortage in Ontario). Some of the women had somewhat astonishing stories about their OBs (e.g. at 25 weeks, only having met her doctor once for all of two minutes).

1 comment:

  1. oh no, oh noes!!! the cradle is almost ready - the end of this week!

    ReplyDelete