Friday, May 18, 2012

It's been a while... am I mom enough?

Things here have been hectic. Between getting our house ready to sell, then making the wacky emotional decision not to sell the house (!!!), plus visitors and the approaching "6 week crying peak," things have been busy around here.

Needless to say I have a lot on my mind these days. With the passing of my first mothers day, I've been thinking a lot about the idea of motherhood, and parenthood in general. There is a lot that I wasn't ready for. I wasn't ready for the worry and anxiety ("I'm going to break my baby!"), I wasn't ready to cry everyday, or the crazy amount of laundry and the to-do list that never gets to-done. But perhaps most of all, I wasn't ready for the opinions and advice on offer from myriad sources, and how sensitive I'd be to them (yes I'm enjoying my nightly Guinness, thank you). I think this reflects the larger picture of how political this motherhood business has become.

There is a lot to be said about this, and I'm not going to get very far in this post. Last week's Time Magazine cover certainly received a lot of attention. Attachment parenting has more or less appealed to me, but not everyone is on board. Indeed as the Time cover suggests, some believe that AP is a backward step for women. There is a lot to think about here, including my own judgements of women who are practicing vastly different parenting styles. Yes, there is more to say and this seems like an awkward place to leave off, but right now it is time to feed my baby, make lunch, and leave the house. To be continued....

1 comment:

  1. " . . . and the to-do list that never gets to-done"

    Big smiles over here.

    ReplyDelete