Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Loveliness number 1, revisited

Hey, do any of you diehard readers remember Loveliness Number 1? "Grow it, don't throw it": the original loveliness, if you like. That was the winter that P and I planted avocado pits, a date pit, and some pomegranate seeds.

Well, the avocado tree rapidly grew up and took over our living room, which was fun but ultimately needed to end when we stopped being able to sit in there. Now fast forward three and a half years. The date plant is still around, with a whopping five linear leaves. I'm glad it is still alive. However since it grows sooooo slowly it is a pretty boring plant, and really not that attractive. But the pomegranate, the pomegranate! The pomegranate has developed into the most beautiful woody leafy growth. It is a magical, tumbling, ethereal plant-thing. It is my very great sadness that it will not be able to come to Colorado with us.

I know that Colorado will provide many new gardening opportunities, including some excellent succulent potential (I love me my succulents). Plus I can plant more seeds next winter and see how pomegranates grow in high altitudes. But I'll miss my original loveliness pommie. 

So. Any Toronto folks want a new happy houseplant? Tolerates neglect extremely well!

No comments:

Post a Comment