Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mr. Long and Lean

Today we had Heiko's first medical appointment on this side of the border. He is a healthy little guy, measuring in the 85th percentile in height, and the 3rd (!) percentile in weight. Yes, the little man really is just a willowy sprout.

He also had some immunizations, which are never fun for anyone. There was some confusion and back and forth about which immunizations to give him, since the schedule is slightly different here. Unfortunately I have little trust in the US health authorities, and I was surprised to learn today that the vaccination schedule is different from the Canadian one, so it was with some suspicion that I agreed to switch over to their system (in fact I only agreed because to continue along the Ontario schedule meant that H would have required four needles today, but it turned out they gave him three anyway (I thought it would be two), so I should have stood my ground). There is a lot of weird information floating around about immunizations these days, and it can be hard to make sense of it all. In general I'm very pro-immunization, but because we would like to come back to Canada in the long run, I would prefer to keep him on the Canadian system. And, despite this pro-vaccine stance, when the needles are out it is hard not to run through all of the sisters of friends of friends whose baby had seizures (or worse) kind of thing.

All told though, Heiko took the vaccines like a champ. I have to question the wisdom of putting bandaids on babies though. Is that really necessary? Guess who has the fun job of teaching this little shoot about the joys of removing said bandages?
The appointment was different in other ways too. Perhaps in a you-get-what-you-pay-for kind of spirit, the whole process took an hour and a half. An hour and a half!!!!! It makes me really appreciate our Toronto doctor's super efficient if somewhat terse fifteen minute appointments. Plus, she never felt the need to ask us if there are guns in the house. I had to laugh when the nurse today asked that. It also made me feel really sad.

In fact, the whole appointment brought my mood down a lot. Some of the advice we were given about introducing solid foods really doesn't sit well with me (perhaps the subject of a future post). Similarly on the topic of sleep (really, you want me to wake my baby up after nursing just so that I can put him down "drowsy but awake"? I actually consider nursing my baby to sleep to be one of my superpowers at the moment). I greatly dislike the feeling of not trusting the people we are apparently relying upon to be experts. Sitting in the examination room after the appointment, nursing a very unhappy post-needles Heiko, I felt my own tears welling up. I knew that the medical care here would be different, but I didn't expect the backwardness of the whole system to make me feel quite so homesick. Bleh.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the blehness, E. The backwardness of the system is eternally depressing - it is a terrible system. On the plus side, those are some pretty snazzy band-aids! Probably a single bath and those mofos will fall right off - at least that's what happens with my bandaids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Habby. It is simultaneously good and bad to hear that you don't get used to the shittiness. But yeah, these bandaids are pretty great. And today is bath day!

      Delete
  2. I don't think all states ask that about guns...

    I'm pretty sure that whatever you think is right will be great for Heiko. Everyone has different ideas about parenting, and you should just follow what feels right for you and him.

    Also, super cute pics. I can definitely see a bit of you and Patrick in him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true about parenting. And to be fair, the nurse did mention that a lot of Coloradans hunt, so it probably isn't such a crazy question. I guess it is hard not to feel like my basic intelligence is being questioned after answering a series of seemingly inane questions, but it also reflects the reality of life here (and really anywhere in North America). It just sometimes seems to me that the American way is to assume everyone is extremely stupid, and can't make judgements for themselves. Maybe my assessment is inaccurate, but it is just the way that I feel.

      Everyone tells me that Heiko looks just like Patrick!

      Delete
  3. Gracious No! Those enormous eyes, while not blue, are totally his mommy, not to mention his long leanness! He is the perfect blend of both you and patrick while remaining uniquely Heiko! And I am smitten! mummerino

    ReplyDelete