Monday, October 1, 2012

Weekend part I

I sure had a swell weekend. Heiko's granddad was here again, so we took the day on Saturday to visit Rocky Mountain National Park. I knew that the park was supposed to be spectacular, but I didn't expect it to be quite so, well, spectacular! The aspens have turned yellow, and there is snow on the highest peaks, so it was truly a sight to behold.
The view from our picnic spot:
It is also quite high -- over 10 000 feet. So even though I'm now acclimated to Fort Collins, which is 5000 feet, I was still feeling the altitude. Nevertheless, Patrick, Heiko and I hiked up the ridge to get a better view.

The whole time I kept thinking, "I can't believe I live here." The sky was so so blue, and the aspens were so so yellow. Unfortunately, being so bright it was pretty hard to capture the beauty "on film," but here is what I managed to do.
We also saw some wildlife. Some deer (or perhaps they were elk), and some mountain goats which were causing a traffic jam.
Patrick also saw some birds (me too, though holding binos steady with H in the frontpack is pretty tricky), including a 'drab adult' version of the western bluebird.
 High altitude cool guy:
 Bonsais in the wild!
 So much fun.
Weekend fun continued on Sunday, which I'll post tomorrow. Right now nap-time computer time is being used up with job applications, boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment