Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Snow and tiny ditches

All my bragging about the excellent weather here has resulted in this: snow. It is that pretty, sweepable kind of snow, though (rhymes!). A good excuse to bundle up and wander around.
Here is something. Last week I went to the dentist. He told me that I have four cavities. Four! All is possible though, since I haven't been to the dentist since before H was born. And, pregnancy and nursing has brought out my sweet tooth (chocoholism, really), not to mention the around-the-clock eating (there were a few months when I ate a really ridiculous number of peanut butter pretzels between the hours of midnight and 5am (as an aside, I thought these were a just-in-Canada kind of thing, but have recently made a terrible discovery that they are sold in bulk at the Whole Foods: oh. noes.). This can't be good for teeth, right?

Still, I thought it would be prudent to get a second opinion before making new holes in my head. Indeed Dentist II says I only have two cavities, one of which is just a re-do of an old filling. I've never really been a second opinion kind of gal, but I'm sure glad I sought one out in this case. Plus, I have to be suspicious of any dentist who offers you credits for referring new patients/customers. Oh, and also who offers you botox, whaaat? So I'm pleased with my new dentist, Dr. Slootmaker (whose name is Dutch for ditch-digger.  "Kind of appropriate since that is sort of what I do". Tiny tooth ditches. Ew.)

2 comments:

  1. I have realized that there are a lot of charlatan dentists out there who recommend unnecessary fillings for cosmetic reasons, or just because they know people are vain and don't want to lose their teeth and that insurance will cover it. I've also discovered that telling dirty/offensive jokes seems to popular among dentists.

    ReplyDelete