Thursday, February 14, 2013

A love, not shared

Hey! It is Valentines day. Time to share the love, right? That is what I thought too, which is why I thought it would be a nice morning to share my love of peanut butter with my funny special valentine, my son. (The other love of my life already knows all about peanut butter). Much to my great great sadness, it seems that the love is not shared. In fact, if the hives which broke out all over the little man's face, neck and chest are any indication, it is more than a distaste for peanuts.
P and I are looking for other explanations (unripe pears? mystery cleaning products?), but I'm starting to wonder whether we have a peanut allergy on our hands. Apart from my deep personal sadness about this potential (I am basically a nut butter monster (and before you blame me, there is no science supporting the old idea that one shouldn't eat peanuts in pregnancy!)), the real person affected would of course be Heiko. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's hope there is some other explanation.
And to put it all in perspective, although a peanut allergy would be a big drag, the wandering parent-mind can think of far, far worse things. On a happy but 'wow' note, I know a gal in town whose son had a heart transplant when he was only a few days old. He is now a thriving toddler, with a very brave mama. So, with that in mind, I'm sure we can handle a peanut allergy. And, he can at least wear peanut-coloured pants. 

Happy nut-free hearts people!
Love,
e

No comments:

Post a Comment