Saturday, March 23, 2013

Patchworks

Hello people. I have a few little things to share. For one thing, we found some biggie-boy shoes at the thrift store yesterday! Now the fellow just needs to take his first steps so that he can wear them. Currently H has placed one of his new shoes on a chair and is pushing that around the dining room, which is one thing to do with new shoes, I guess.

In other news, I did a craft. It has been a long while since I've done a non-knitting craft project. The only reason I have been remotely productive on the knitting front is that I can knit while doing something else, for example, watching Downton. But it has been ages since I've done a sewing project. This week, with Patrick on break, I decided to make a little something. It is from Elizabeth Hartman's "Perfect Zip Bag" pattern, which I was reluctant to pay $10 for, but now I'm pleased I did. I feel empowered to make many many zip bags with lovely zippers, my favourite part of this small bag.

I also took the opportunity to do a little patchwork for the front. See, I have always really loved patchwork, but I bit off more than I could chew with the Penrose Nerd-Quilt mega-project, so I haven't felt like I could do any other patchwork projects until that was complete. Ughh... look at this.

Well, that thing is far from complete (add it to the list....), and may never be. I thought briefly about turning it into a baby quilt, but well, it is really pink for one thing, and we are on the verge of having a toddler not a baby (ahhhhhh!). So now it is just a pile of tiles. I'm taking suggestions for non-quilt uses for this geeky piece of patchwork.

That is all by way of saying that it was fun to piece together the front of this pouch. I used some vintage fabric which has fuzzy dots on it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, although I don't like the strap. We'll see about that. Plus it was satisfying to start and finish something. I see more quilty bags in the future. And I may liberate myself from my commitment to a project I don't like in favour of something much more simple and less hand-stitchy.

Finally, we have another winter storm here on this first weekend of spring. So we are hibernating, doing projects and drinking coffee. Not a bad way to spend the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment