Tuesday, April 23, 2013

And then we had a party

We had a birthday party for Heiko on Sunday. I'm happy to report that I was so busy having a good time that I didn't take any photos of the actual event. But here's a little photographic evidence that a party occurred, food was eaten, and a good time was had. Don't you love those quiet moments after a party when you can finally pour a glass of wine and sample some of the food yourself?
We spent several days preparing for this party, making food, baking cakes and tidying up. I was kind of terrified that none of our new friends would show up. But they did! It was neat to see the collection of people we've met here gathered in one place. Colleagues, yoga people, neighbours, playgroup friends and a few fellow Canadians. We also got to meet some new humans, as in new babies, which was pretty fun. I even had a baby snuggle with a seven week old, which took me right back.

At some point I glanced out the window to see a phalanx of strollers lined up at the front porch. Inside, kids from newborn to 11 years wandered around with plastic cups, almond butter sandwiches and Heiko toys, and the bedrooms were used multiple times for nursing and diaper changing (not by me). What has happened to our lives? At some point our guests would have simply brought wine, now they come with colourful plastic toys for our kid.

Speaking of whom, I think the little man had a pretty great time at the party. Of course, I feel that the party was mostly for us, a celebration of having survived this first year. Though I know it is what people are doing these days, I didn't pick a "theme" for his party, since I'm pretty sure the presence of twenty+ adults in his house is probably thrilling enough. And the truth is I hardly saw Heiko at all at the party since he is quite the social butterfly.

In these days after the festivities, Heiko seems a little restless and bored. I guess it was pretty exhilarating to have all those guests, considering that before the party we had not done any entertaining whatsoever. Plus, his one-year one-tooth campaign is soon to come to an end as tooth two makes its appearance. Thus H is on a no-sleep nursing jag, which means we're all tired around here. But it's OK, I'm riding on waves of warm-fuzzy from the weekend. On the topic of warm and fuzzy....

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I wish I had been there! Sounds like so much fun. Congrats on your first FoCo party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that last pic is the cutest thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete