Friday, August 1, 2014

Summer wind-down

It boggles my mind that I have posted to this thing exactly two times since leaving Worcester. TWO! Can you even believe this? Aren't I supposed to be on holiday or something with lots of time to do these things? Ah time. Good old time. A friend from undergrad used to say 'Time is Bitch' and I find myself thinking that now and then.
So what has happened? Oh you know, things. Heiko is mastering his usage of "probably" and "maybe", he is telling all kinds of stories ("went dat way, went dat way!"), and wanting to do a lot of stuff by himself ("NO, SELF!"). We travelled out west and he had his own seat in the airplane (sniff), and he is slowly mastering the art of singing himself to sleep (double sniff but also ohthankgod). We've been in Toronto, in Temagami, in Victoria, and now we are repeating the Toronto-Temagami circuit. We've also had lots of visits with family, and friends in the Toronto-orbit.
And now the summer winds down. Next week is the conference that I organized, and then we are going to try to get into the States again. I say 'try' because it is a complicated logic problem with a delicately timed border crossing, a dubious transfer of a car full of our stuff, and the return of the housewife visa for me. Yes, after my snazzy semester as an independent working woman, I'll be back to my lowly H4 Alien status.
And then what, and then what? That's been the flavour of the summer for me. And then what? Where am I going, Sheryl Sandberg? If only I could make money by thinking about possible career changes for myself. I would be so rich.
But we've had a lot of great times these last couple months. We plan to savour our last few days in Toronto, and then kick off our return to Colorado with our annual peach jam production.
See you then, people!
xo
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update... Nice to hear how Heiko is developing... So many changes! We have fingers crossed (in German, we pull the thumbs) about getting back to Ft. C and job prospects.

    ReplyDelete